Thursday, February 27, 2014

Week 4

You guys are going to hate me for posting such a long blog but I have no choice. I have a lot to say. I’ll make it as short as possible. Sorry.

I’ve stumbled across an amazing opportunity to participate in a huge fundraising campaign and event for SSU. However, it has nothing to do with the veterans group I had planned on blogging about. At this point I’m going to keep attending the veterans group meetings, but I think I might start blogging about this new experience. As long as Monica is alright with that.

I learned about this campaign and event when I received an email last week from a woman who is the Assistant Vice President of Institutional Advancement at SSU. She informed me that her department is in the midst of a fundraising campaign to raise significant financial resources for the Salem State community through scholarships, paid internships, academic programs and student support programs, including veteran affairs. She described it as “an intensive public fundraising effort to raise millions of dollars to meet the growing needs of Salem State University.” The goal is to raise 25 million dollars.

Their effort is going to be launched publically in April with a campaign launch celebration hosting their donors, and alumni and friends who are invested in Salem State and its strategic goals. Through the event they will be releasing their campaign theme/brand “10,000 REASONS.”  The campaign will support the 10,000 students at SSU and their ambitions.  Through the brand they plan to share student, faculty and alumni stories. I’m told their will hundreds of donors and potential donors at this event.

My role will be as a member in a student leadership group that was created especially for this event. The work I will be doing will be done between now and April 12th, which is the day of the event. Leading up to the event I will have to attend a few meetings, as well as complete some sort of training designed to give me the tools needed to have informed conversations about the campaign and the university. There’s also a rehearsal prior to the event. My job at the event will be to engage guests in thoughtful conversation as a discussion leader at a designated dinner table. I’ll also have to field questions about the institution. And last but not least I’ll be speaking at the event.

Today I had to do a video shoot where they filmed our conversation, which will be played on a screen at the event. The individuals filming asked me some basic demographic questions (name, location, major, grad year, etc.). They also asked me a bunch of questions about why I chose SSU, what I hope to gain from my education, future career aspirations, and how I plan to impact the world and my community.


There’s still a lot more I don’t know yet, but I’ll be meeting with someone next week and I’ll have a little more information to share on my next blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Phil,

    I must say, that was a lot to read and I can't promise you won;t hear about it late, but the best advice I can give you is to do what is right for you. If the veterans organization isn't as hands on as you hoped for why not put your time and effort to a project that could benefit so many more individuals. Especially if in doing so you can help fellow veterans as well.

    I must say I can completely see you engaging the guests effectively and thoughtfully as a discussion leader. From a personal standpoint you are a very sociable and approachable guy, this seems to be the perfect placement for you. The fact that you have already done so much in such little time is a great achievement, keep up the good work.

    -Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Phil! This seems like a great opportunity and project for you to get involved in. It also seems like more proactive and structured, which was lacking in the Veterans group. This project is also going to be very rewarding as you are helping to raise supports for a community you are already apart of. It is neat to hear how they reached out to you to become involved and how they are using the community members to help with fundraising and talking to the donors.
    If I can be all academic for a second, it seems like a very feminist model approach, with using the current relationships with students to reach out to donors, build relationships with them through talking at dinner, and sharing their stories. I think using this approach and personalizing the stories of the students who would be all benefiting from donations to the University is very smart approach. I will be interested to hear what you think after being involved further.

    I am really glad you have this opportunity to represent our University community and share your story. I think you will represent us well. I am looking forward to hearing more about this project and your direct involvement. Congrats on finding something where you can be actively and passionately involved in a project of change. :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete