I attended my first meeting this week. I’ve worked in the
past with this group on a number of occasions, but I had never attended any of
there meetings. I wish I could say I was impressed. It was more like a social
hour than anything else. For an entire hour I sat and listened to a group of
veterans joke around and make fun of each other. No work was done at all. I
guess I kind of expected their meetings to be like that. To be honest, the
reason I’ve never attended any of their meetings in the past is because I
figured it would be a waste of time. Unless this weeks meeting was not the
usual, I got the feeling the real work gets done somewhere else. I haven’t done
it yet, but I’m going to be having a conversation with the president of the
group to discuss a few things. I’m not interested in “hanging out” during their
meetings. If I’m going to attend I want the time to be used usefully.
I know for a fact that there are some projects going on
within the group but none of them were discussed. Since I haven’t seen most of
the guys in a long time, when they weren’t making fun of each other they were
asking me millions of “catch up” questions. I could tell they were trying to
figure out if I was going to start being around more often, even after this
semester ends. I’m going to have to be sure to set the right expectations. As
much as I love my fellow veterans, I haven’t got the time to give at this point
in my life. Truly, if this wasn’t a requirement for our course I wouldn’t even
be part of this group right now.
One thing they kept talking about is how much travelling
they’ve been doing. Apparently the three leaders of the group (Pres. Vice
Pres., & Treasurer) have been going to conferences around the country that
are sponsored by companies such as Google and Raytheon. If I understood them
correctly when they were talking about it, these large corporations hold
conferences for student veterans to attend where they can learn more
business-oriented type of leadership and development skills. It makes me wonder
if they have these types of events for non-business undergrad majors.
Anyway, as I said, I need to have a conversation with the
president of the group. Once I do I’ll have a better idea of where I’ll fit in
and what my role will be. The last thing I want to do all semester is to be an
observer. If I’m going to be part of a group I want to do some work.
Hey Phil,
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear that thus far the group has not been what you have expected. Although it is good to catch up with old friends I can see how it can be quite frustrating when you devote yourself to a cause and you see no progress being made. Especially when your time is valuable and you'd rather be somewhere else where you can be more effective. I wonder if the President is aware of the discussions within the meetings? How do you think you might react if the president acknowledges this but believes it is good for them to get together and talk?
That being said how might you consider ways to change the group dynamic? Do you feel as if you cant bring up topics of work? To them you may be new, an outsider, but if it is for the betterment of the group try speaking out next meeting, see if you can get them on task. If not who has been coordinating action and or progress within the group? I am sorry to keep asking questions but I want you to get the most out of your group, especially since it is a cause close to your heart. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next post.
Hey Phil,
ReplyDeleteI am sorry your group is frustrating right now, and not what you were expecting. It seems like they approach it more like a support group, but still there is no structure. And I don't know how supportive making fun of each other is, but maybe there is some comradery in it. However, being one chapter of a larger organization, I wonder what the organizations expectations are for these groups. Was there any structure or anyone that was in charge? It does seem like strange dynamics.
I also echo Alan's questions and wonder what part you can plan in refocusing the group. I think talking with the President is a great first step. You will be able to get a better idea of what the goals of these meetings are. I would also ask about roles. Like what specifically is the role of the President and Vice President. I feel like even though this may be a frustrating process, you will be able to contribute some insight from your education, as well as learn maybe about bad structuring of a community group. However, I do hope it gets better and more productive.