Thursday, February 6, 2014

1st Week

The community organization I decided to participate in is the Student Veterans Organization (SVO) at Salem State. The SVO is actually part of a larger community, as it is a chapter of the Student Veterans of America, which is an organization that provides student veterans with resources and support to succeed in higher education. The SVO at Salem State has a strong focus on the reintegration process that veterans face when they leave the military and find themselves in a classroom.

The SVO is a place for veterans to network and provide and receive peer-to-peer support. They are actively involved in the local community, participate in campus activities, and host a variety of academic and social events. Their mission is to assist veterans in achieving their educational goals and to provide assistance throughout the transition process and beyond.

I’m not quite sure what to expect yet. They only meet twice a month and the first meeting I’m attending will be held on the 17th. I’m hoping it’s the kind of meeting that they talk about some of the issues they’re working on addressing, or some of the projects they’re working on. It will be nice to see how the meetings are structured, if there is any structure at all. Once I go to the first meeting and get a better idea of how things are structured and what my role will be I’ll feel a little better.


I’m also hoping to see what type of interaction there is between the SVO and the Student Veterans of America. I’d like to learn more about how they operate the chapters and what type of involvement there is. For example, I want to find out if the SVO is responsible for raising money or making donations to the larger organization. I want to see what they have to do to be called a “chapter” of the Student Veterans of America. I want to learn about how smaller communities operate as parts of larger communities.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Phil,
    I am looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the SVO, throughout the semester. This seems like a unique experience compared to the rest of us, as you are a member of the population that they serve. I would suspect that the members of your group would be further invested and passionate about the mission of the organization. I wonder if that builds cohesion and like-mindedness or if it will produce conflict. I suspect both and hope that the mutual support produced is encouraging and beneficial to you. I also think you will be a valuable member of the group as you are both a participant and an observer of the process, and will be able to bring a unique perspective.

    I am also intrigued to hear about how each chapter operates as a member of the larger SVO organization. I wonder how much over-site and involvement the larger organization displays. Also if there is further connection and collaboration between the local chapters. I agree that it would be cool to see if your chapter has a broader scope outside the Salem State community and seeks to support the larger organization. If they don't, then maybe that will be your role to enhance their mission and enlarge their focus. I am looking forward to hearing more from you about this experience as you get involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil,

    I must say it't great that you have been able to join an organization which you can truly commit to. It must be a great experience to try and better the lives of your fellow vets. I know you have expressed interest in working with returning vets in your future professional career, and this seems to be a great stepping stone in the right direction. Not only will the organization be a great learning process, but I feel this will allow you to implement techniques and perspectives we have learned this year as well.

    Being initially unsure is pretty common I would assume, I myself still have little idea of the role I will be playing within my placement. I wish you the best of luck and hope that as a student veteran you will be able to get the most out of your experience and involvement with the SVO. Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing about your first meeting.

    ReplyDelete