I can’t believe this is the last blog. I feel like this
semester moved really fast. I remember being worried that I wouldn’t be able to
find a good group to join for this assignment. But now, after my own experience
and after hearing about everyone else’s experiences, I’m amazed at how many
different types of groups there are to join. There’s something about seeing
people organize that really inspires me to want to be more involved in
community practice.
It’s been a great learning experience. Joining a group
really gave us the opportunity to apply some of what we were learning in the
classroom to our experience. I also learned a lot from you guys. Reading about
your experiences was enlightening. And being able to read your feedback really
shed a lot of light on some of the community practice themes that were somehow
slipping past my radar.
This experience has helped me realize how much can be
accomplished when people organize. I always wanted to be involved with
community practice, but now my desire to do so has been magnified. And I feel
much more prepared to do so, moving forward. This experience has been very
inspiring.
Today I’m attending the rehearsal for tomorrow’s big event.
I’m glad I’ll have a chance to see exactly what’s planned so that I can feel
confident about my role. I’ve seen a slide show already, but having an actual
walk-through will be much better. One of the things I’ve learned from this
experience is that every member of the group needs to be prepared and on the
same page in order to succeed.
I can’t wait to tell you guys about the event next time I
see you. Once the campaign is launched I’ll be able to show you guys a website
with the video and stuff.
Thanks for reading my blogs all semester!
Phil
Hey Phil,
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it is the end of the semester either. It is really crazy how time goes by so quickly. I remember the task of joining a group being very daunting. I can't believe we were all able to find one. The amount of different groups amazes me too. I loved learning about them all.
Before this class I didn't know what community practice was. It is kinda shocking to think back about how few of us acknowledged that we have been involved in community practice before. Through learning about the other organizations and what community practice looks likes, I think we have been involved in many more facets of community practice then we all realized.
I also loved the overlap of policy and community practice this semester. I feel like one way policies get passed and changed is through community practice methods. Especially through the conflict theory models. I think we have seen those models demonstrated through our discussion of policy changes throughout history. The women's centered model is also apparent in policy and in many of our community organizations.
I like how you have a renewed passion for community practice. I feel like social workers should be more passionate and involved in community practice, because that's how social change occurs. So I am glad you will be one of the people involved in these practices and maybe even help with policy changes in the future.:)
Good luck tonight will the launch. Again I am happy to have you representing our student body and social workers. :)
Jess
Hey Phil,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree throughout the entire process of taking part of an organization while being able to hear the experiences of others and their groups has been quite exciting. Before Community Practice and the assignment itself I too had little knowledge of the community groups in the area, and was astounded to learn of the variety.
I am glad that our feedback has been put to good use and that and even our experiences as well. Although not all of them have been the best it definitely has been a good learning process for us all. Prior to my experience of community practice and this assignment I had little drive to become a member of the community I live in, aside from my family of course. But I do agree that I have had an increase in my willingness and want to participate as well. I wish you the best with your upcoming event and I truly hope your event goes well!
-Alan